Because of the constant attack by the wiki spam bots, accounts that are created and not used will be deleted. If you are a legitimate user, and your IP was blocked, please contact any active administrator - look at Special:RecentChanges and see who is busy fighting spam.
- What's the price of swftools?
- SWFTools is free of charge (donations are welcome, though), and is released under the GNU General Public License version 2 or (at your option) any later version.
- Headers include this information (copied from
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
- Where can I donate?
- You can donate via PayPal by clicking on the "donate" button on http://www.swftools.org/donate.html.
- How to compile/link swftools on Unix/Linux/BSD?
- See Installation.
- Is there a pdf2swf/avi2swf for Windows?
- Windows versions of all SWF utilities are downloadable from http://www.quiss.org/swftools/download.html. (There's a self-extracting .exe version of all versioned releases, and a .zip or .rar archive of the newest development snapshot.)
- Where's the source code of the Windows version?
- It's the same as the Unix source code. If you want to compile under Windows, it's recommended that you get the CVS version of the sources.
- You need MingW (http://www.mingw.org) to compile it. When cross-compiling under Linux, e.g. the following generates the Windows .exe files:
CXX=i386-mingw32msvc-g++ CPP=i386-mingw32msvc-cpp CC=i386-mingw32msvc-gcc \ ./configure --host=i586-mingw32msvc && make
- For compiling on Windows itself, there's a HOWTO from Daichi Shinozaki: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/swftools-common/2005-02/msg00023.html
- The fonts in the SWFs generated by pdf2swf are wrong!
- Watch the output of pdf2swf closely. You should see something like:
WARNING Font Myriad-Roman could not be loaded. WARNING Try putting a TTF version of that font (named "Myriad-Roman.ttf") into /swftools/fonts
- Provided you actually own the font in question (here: Myriad-Roman.ttf), you can copy that fonts into your current directory and pass the:
"-F ./" (--fontpath ./)
- option to pdf2swf. If you use a font in several PDFs, you can also simply copy it to (on Windows) C:\SWFTools\Fonts\, or (on Unix) /usr/local/share/swftools/fonts to make it work all the time.
- Can png2swf handle transparency?
- Yes. It supports PNG mode 2 transparency (256 color palettes with alpha) since version 0.4.2. Mode 6 (32 bit RGBA truecolor) is also supported since version 0.4.4.
- How to do Flash MX compression with SWFTools?
- Most tools support the -z flag for outputting compressed SWF. Furthermore you can compress/uncompress SWF files using swfcombine:
swfcombine -dz file.swf -o file_new.swf
- compresses, while
swfcombine -d file.swf -o file_new.swf
- avi2swf converts my avi files upside down!
- Try using the -p (--flip) switch.
- How to extract images/sounds from myfile.swf using swfextract?
- First list all extractable items:
- The result is something like:
Objects in file myfile.swf: [-i] 3 Shapes: ID(s) 1-3 [-i] 5 MovieClips: ID(s) 4, 5, 8, 10, 12 [-j] 3 JPEGs: ID(s) 69, 116, 447 [-p] 1 PNG: ID(s) 318 [-s] 3 Sounds: ID(s) 28-30 [-f] 10 Frames: ID(s) 0-10
- Now you can extract a shape using
swfextract -i 2 myfile.swf -o shape.swf
- a sound using
swfextract -s 28 myfile.swf -o sound.wav
- a PNG image file using
swfextract -p 318 myfile.swf -o file.png
- Is there a mailing list for SWFTools?
- Yes there is. You can subscribe by going to http://mail.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/swftools-common
- Why didn't Matthias answer my swftools-related mail?
- Currently, Matthias is getting much more mails than he can answer. It's frustrating, but it's true. He tries his best to at least *read* all mails he receives.
- If you need an answer to something, it's usually more effective to post it on the mailing list, though, as there are a lot of friendly users around there which may have the one or other helpful tip concerning your problem.
- When will feature/bugfix/enhancement XY be implemented?
- Setting deadlines in a non-commercial, spare-time project like swftools tools is hard, and keeping them is even harder, if not impossible.
- Therefore, do not ask about deadlines, and you won't get fuzzy, or even wrong, answers.
- How to compile avi2swf?
- avi2swf isn't part of the swftools distribution anymore. If you want to convert avi files to swf, please use either mencoder or ffmpeg
mencoder file.avi -lavfopts i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames \ -ffourcc FLV1 -oac mp3lame -of lavf -ovc lavc \ -lavcopts vcodec=flv:acodec=mp3:vbitrate=500:abitrate=56 -srate 22050 \ -o file.swf
ffmpeg -i video.mpg -b <bitrate> -s <X>y<Y> -pass 1 -passlogfile log_file video.flv ffmpeg -i video.mpg -b <bitrate> -s <X>y<Y> -pass 2 -passlogfile log_file video.flv flvtool2 -UP video.flv
- How can I create transparent SWFs from PDFs?
- Run pdf2swf as usual, and then, on the resulting file, execute:
swfextract -i 3- file.swf -o file.swf
- How can I convert SWF frames to bitmap?
- There's a "swfrender" utility in the CVS, which isn't finished yet, and will only work for *very* simple SWF files. (No Actionscript, no no morph shapes, no blending modes, no filters, etc.)
- Probably other Flash Open-Source projects (like Gnash) have some more sophisticated utilities for this. (One user reported that swfdec (http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/wiki/) and pyswfdec (http://www.gnome.org/~gianmt) work good.)
- If you find other tools that work, I'd like to know about it. Please mail me at email@example.com.